Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My Stu Dee O could have blown away.

Between our home in Texas, the mobile home on the farm and the one room cabin, where we plan to build our dream home,  I do a lot of moving of my art and craft supplies.  They go where I go and I go a lot!  Each home has an art space and the guys around the farm like to tease me about my "Stu Dee O", (studio).  I don't care about the teasing, only about finding a nice comfy, inspiring space to do my work.  

There was a wonderful old barn in our yard that My Farmer's kids had fixed up into the ultimate party place.  Well the kids parties have slowed down now that they have gotten older and the Party Barn became the junk and old furniture depot. I suggested that we should have our own party and invite all our friends so MF and I hauled out all the junk, cleaned  and washed the floors and windows and then we celebrated.  

When the celebrating was over and no one was looking I slowly moved  my easels, canvas and paints up stairs into the newly spic and span loft.  I set up in front of the huge patio door and had all the natural light I could use.  I had tons of room to spread out and I thought I had found a great place for a Stu Dee O.  There was one really annoying problem with painting up stairs in the loft of the barn in front of the patio door.  When the wind blow that window whistled, I mean it really made a racket.  I could hardly stand the noise so now not only was I limited to finding the time in a day or a week that I could spare to go paint but it also had to be a day with no wind.  Days with no wind out here on the Saskatchewan prairie are very few and far between and I stopped painting.....




I just can't stop being creative though and discovered zentangle drawings.  A pen and some paper is all I needed and I can handle that on the kitchen table or my computer desk.  Unfortunately, I didn't stop at just one pen, I had to get a whole bunch and then try some Tombow watercolor markers and some Copic alcohol ink pens, oh, and then I dug out my wonderful, old set of Prismacolor watercolor pencils.  I took some art classes and needed more stuff, like pan pastels, Inktense pencils, Peerless watercolors and a whole bunch of inks in spray bottles.  I out grew the computer desk but couldn't stand going back out to the barn again with all that noise so I set up my new
Stu Dee O inside our little home and dreamed of the space I was going to have once we build our new house.

               Yesterday there were 8 confirmed tornadoes in southern Saskatchewan, where we live.




I don't believe it was a tornado that hit here but it sure scared the crap out of me.   The wind did a lot of damage, though not near as bad as it could have been.  What it did do was blow the patio door in the loft of the barn in and glass shattered all over the place. The wind also peeled off the barn's tin roof and blew out the other barn windows.  Our yard's a real mess but if I had left my Stu Dee O set up in the barn loft I would have lost all my pens, paints and drawings.



                                               My farmer, me and all my art supplies are safe.

8 comments:

  1. Darn Mother Nature, eh. So happy you are safe and all's good with your art supplies too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy that you are safe and your studio is still standing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you are safe, but sorry for your damage. So, so glad you moved your art supplies! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are ok and not painting in that studio when all went down.We didn't have the tornadoes just rain, wind and a little hail but today the wind was ugly.Take care. g.a.s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, sounds like you will want to do any renovations to that barn to be tornado proof or at least a lot beefier than they were. Glad to hear that people and supplies are safe. We had to do a lot of hurricane straps and ties for our house here in Hawaii, even though the Big Island has never been hit with one.
    Aloha, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thank goodness you are all okay! What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, they say...you must be getting very strong, Lori! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, lori, glad to hear you are safe! i just found your blog through pinterest - somehow, i don't recall the links that got me here - glad i found you. you had me at "inktense pencils" :). happy creating in your new Stu Dee O!

    ReplyDelete