Sunday, September 29, 2013

What I did this summer.

I went to bed way to early last night so now it's 4 am and I am awake and sitting in front of my computer wondering if there is anything interesting in here.  After catching up on a few of the blogs I follow I got feeling guilty for not writing in my own blog very much this summer.   I have thought about sitting down to write many times but other things just got in the way like building a house I suppose.  Well here goes, a little up date on what my summer has been like.




We went from a hole in the hill in May to a house built in September.

 It will still be a while until we are living in it but at this point we are pretty much done what we wanted to do for this year. 

 
The house is sealed up for the winter, windows, doors, roof, siding.  That is where we had planned to be by fall as we will go south to Texas for the winter. We did manage to get a few extra things done.  We added on 3 decks and we used trees from our yard to make the log railings and posts around the high deck and the logs to hold the deck up.

 Bernie also built a fantastic entry way and is now building us a green house so we can start growing as soon as we get back to Saskatchewan.


Meanwhile we are living in the little shack cabin and I have to tell you that it is COLD in here!!  I have a heater going, am wrapped up in a blanket and the temperature right now is about 14c.  Usually we have a fire going and if I didn't have to go outside to get the wood, it's 0c out there, I would build one.   We usually have wood inside, but I guess Bernie was chilly last night after I went to bed because it's all gone. 


This blog is supposed to be about my art and even though I have not been writing about it I have still been creating art.  Maybe nothing really interesting to show you but I have kept my creative juices flowing by making ATC's (Art Trading Cards) and trading with other, usually Zentangle, artists.  I will quite a big stack of ATC's, will count them and show you some of the really amazing ones real soon.


I took a Cob oven building class this summer.  Cob is an old English word for Lump!  And a cob oven is made from sand, clay and straw all mixed together - with your feet!  Then the cob lumps are built into a round igloo shaped dome that makes the most amazing pizza or bread oven.  One day I hope to build one of my own but not until I have figured out where I want to put it in the yard. 
That is me in the purple shirt and overalls!

I also have my first teaching job here in our new town!  Just a Saturday afternoon drawing class but I am really excited to meet some other local artists and creative people.  The class is next weekend and I'm so excited that I have had the lesson planned and everything prepared of over a week now. 

It's been a really busy summer, just flew by.  We had lots of company, all the kids came a couple of times each, our closest neighbor was around quite a bit building his cabin and we have made some great new Nipawin friends. 
My Grandson and his dog, Molly.

Life is Good! 




No comments:

Post a Comment